Monday, February 21, 2011

Category: duh

I was driving with my whole family this afternoon when I saw an electronic sign on the side of the road that warned of the dangers of texting while driving.  And I understand that it is a huge problem right up there with driving while on cocaine, mescaline, and Jolt cola all at the same time.  Here's what I see as the problem.  I want to know what was sent to me and then politely say "I'm driving.  This conversation is important to me. For safety reasons, I will respond as soon as I arrive at my destination."  I want a huge button on the phone that sends this message.  Better yet, I want the phone to detect that I am in my car and automatically send this response.  No, no. I want to be able to say "Text to audio." and have the car translate the text into audio then send that polite response when I say "safe mode" or something.  This can be done with today's technology.  Hell, there may be apps for it for all I know.  But I don't want to bother figuring it all out.  This is very important and I should not have to be 19 to know how to do it.  The brains of the industry need to get on with this feature like last week. Duh!

Until then my wife intelligently pointed out that we need a code that can be sent as simply as possible to accomplish this.  Dear friends, coworkers, and family.  If you see the text...

v v v

...or some variation of that, I'm driving.  This conversation is important to me. For safety reasons, I will respond as soon as I arrive at my destination."

Pass this message on.

No comments:

Post a Comment