Saturday, May 14, 2011

Category: Strange Behavior

This weekend, I am taking a trip for a guy weekend.  It's sort of a weekend anyway.  I am leaving after work on Saturday evening (tonight) and returning on Sunday night, so it's more like a guy 24 hours  This is an exceedingly rare event for me, and I cherish it.  I have been planning it for about four months, and looking forward to it with great anticipation.

The planning of it was not too difficult, but one big issue had to be overcome.  Somebody had to stay with my children while my wife works.  She works overnight so it is kind of a tall order to fill.  Luckily, one of my wife's friends agreed to stay with them!  Back when I was deliberating whether or not the trip would be possible, this was like a godsend.  We spoke about it several times in the intervening months to hammer out the details, and I was very thankful.

But then about three days ago, when my wife mentioned it to her she essentially backed out.  I don't get this behavior at all. She allowed herself to forget and apparently planned something else.  Lemme tell you something about forgetting.  Nobody has a worse memory than me and my bloodline.  But not this.  We talked about it many times.  And besides, you just don't do that to a friend.  I am still going though.  To my wife's credit, she never asked me to cancel.  She is cobbling together a solution that involves her being late for work tonight and then not sleeping on Sunday.  I owe you one, babe.

I suppose there are all kinds of people out there, but wtf? How does a person's sense of self permit this kind scoundrelous behavior?  How does it get rationalized?

No comments:

Post a Comment